VINTON, Iowa (May 13) – Blame all that rain on Monday and this morning’s unseasonably cool temperatures for postponement of tonight’s XSAN Hawkeye Dirt Tour event at Benton County Speedway. The fifth annual tour for IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds was to have opened Tuesday at Vinton. That race will now be rescheduled on a date to be determined. First night for the series will now be on Memorial Day Monday, May 26 at I-35 Speedway in Mason City. The feature pays $1,000 to win, a minimum of $150 to start and is a qualifier for the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot.Pit gates open at 4 p.m. and the grandstand opens at 5 p.m. Hot laps are at 6 p.m. with racing to follow. IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars, Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods, IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks and Mach-1 Sport Compacts are also on the holiday card.
Photo from USC NewsUSC Student Affairs and the Keck School of Medicine appointed Dr. Sarah Van Orman as the chief medical officer of student health on Aug. 1. In this position, she will oversee the two student health centers on the University Park and Health Sciences campus, respectively.Van Orman was previously the University of Wisconsin’s university health services director for nearly a decade. “I’ve spent my entire career in college health and working with students,” Van Orman said, in an interview with the Daily Trojan. She tackled various issues in her work such as sexual violence, excessive alcohol use, mental health and classroom safety during her term and developed a comprehensive strategy on student wellness. As the chief medical health officer at USC, Van Orman will focus on improving clinical services to students, while developing a comprehensive public health plan through analyzing medical data and working with health professionals to address students’ needs and concerns. “My first goal is, of course, getting to know the staff at Engemann and at the health centers, but I also want to focus on getting to know the students,” Van Orman said. “I want to try and understand what health issues students prioritize, the things they value and their needs. That, in many ways, will guide what our priorities are here at the health center.” There also have been some administrative shifts with Van Orman’s arrival: Keck Medicine of USC will now oversee clinical health services at the two student health centers. Engemann Health Center, the University Park campus’ center, previously operated under USC Student Affairs. As the former chief health officer at UW, Van Orman took initiative to be the school’s public health leader in improving students’ overall wellness. During Van Orman’s term at UW, the school’s data reflected a decrease in high-risk alcohol consumption, especially among first-year students. Curbing alcohol abuse will also be one of Van Orman’s health priorities as she takes on her position at USC. But, alcohol consumption is only one of four defining health concerns that impact students on campus, Van Orman says. “There’s four big issues we know at USC and on other campuses that impact students’ wellbeing,” Van Orman said. “These include mental health and overall wellness. We know sexual violence really impacts students’ mental wellbeing. Also, issues of diversity and inclusion really impact students’ experience, alongside high-risk alcohol consumption.” These four issues were previously identified by Vice President for Student Affairs Ainsley Carry. Beyond specific health concerns, Van Orman expressed the importance of campus climate and its potential to positively impact students’ wellbeing. “The term of the Trojan Family really struck me: this idea that students feel connected to each other on campus,” Van Orman said. She believes encouraging student engagement with one another can be a key aspect in reducing mental health issues, stress, anxiety and loneliness. Van Orman views comprehensive wellness and a focus on long-term issues essential to fostering a healthy campus environment for all students, and she seeks to better understand students in order to effectively aid them. “I’m really excited to get to know students,” Van Orman said. “I think every campus has a unique culture of students, and I’m looking forward to learning what their hopes are and what their interests are while seeing patients.”
Despite losing 2-0 to the Finnish in Dublin last September, team captain Emma Byrne says that they’re determined to make amends today.Kick-off is at five-past four. After sitting-out yesterday’s work-out, Jonathan Walters will be hoping to take part today but team captain Robbie Keane is once-again expected to be confined to a watching brief.Later this afternoon, the Irish Women’s team are facing into a vital Euro2017 qualifier.Sue Ronan’s side have travelled to face Finland in Group 2.
Government is currently in the process of formulating a definite plan to create job opportunities to address the unemployment situation in Guyana, according to Finance Minister Winston Jordan.During a news conference on Monday, Jordan indicated that he was aware of the high rate of unemployment in the nation and would be working to have this addressed in the near future.Jordan disclosed that the Government had requested the support of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) in facilitating an official survey on unemployment.He said there were no exact figures on state of the labour force in Guyana.Finance Minister Winston JordanHowever, Jordan confirmed that it was the aim of the Government to have the survey completed so that a strategy could be crafted, which would efficiently address the state of the labour force.“Not for many years have we had an official unemployment rate, all along we have been dealing with proxies. The last Government wasn’t interested in letting anybody know what the official rate was, there have always been proxies about it. But an official internationally accepted calculation, this is what we will be going for as soon as the IDB finishes with its technical assistance,” he stated.Meanwhile, Head of the Statistics Bureau, Lennox Benjamin admitted that the rate of unemployment from the last census had been recorded at between 10.7 and 11 per cent.In order to strategise on what can be done by the Government to reduce the rate of unemployment, Benjamin said a labour force survey was essential, but this has not been carried out for almost a decade.He related that in 2008, they had done rigorous work with the US Bureau of Census to derive exact figures on unemployment, but at the time of implementation, permission was not granted to go ahead with the process.As a result, the two entities were unable to have the national survey commence without the aid of the government or funding agency.“Let me just qualify this by saying that when a national survey is put in the field, the first thing that has to happen is that the approval of Cabinet has to be given. When the approval of Cabinet is given, the funding has to be secured either by Government or by funding agencies, or a combination of both. So, we have not had a full-blown labour force survey for several years, possibly touching on a decade and in the interim what is used is what we call proxies,” he explained.Benjamin disclosed that they have just completed intensive work with the IDB consultant team and they were looking to have a labour force survey completed.According to him, the survey is set to begin in January of next year. This will be conducted, along with a living conditions survey that is expected to commence in August of next year.Over the past month, the Guyana Trades Union Congress (GTUC) along with other unions, has been calling on the Government to reintroduce job creation programmes, which had been eliminated.The Union had indicated that letters had been sent to the President, the Opposition Leader and the Speaker of the National Assembly to have their appeals heard for more emphasis to be placed on creating jobs for Guyanese.
The Letterkenny Institute of Technology is to receive a major extension.Plans have been unveiled for a new wing of the campus at the Port Road institute. The new building on the west side of the main building will see a brand new library, computer laboratories, classrooms, a lecture theatre, staff office accommodation and an extended cafe.The development represents a significant improvement to the facilities and will support the campus’ transition to university status.The new LYIT wing is to be delivered under the Project Ireland 2040 partnership with the Department of Education, the HEA and the NDFA.The planning permission process for the new wing will commence in the coming weeks.There are currently more than 3,000 students at the LYIT and these plans are a further endorsement of investment in education in Donegal and the Northwest. LYIT to get new multi-million euro campus wing was last modified: December 17th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:campusLYITNewwing
Junior Hoilett has indicated that he would not be willing to stay at Blackburn if they are relegated, The Sun reports.QPR have made enquiries about the highly-rated winger, who has been discussing a new contract at Ewood Park.Meanwhile, Barcelona are lining up a summer move for Chelsea defender David Luiz despite the departure of Pep Guardiola, according to the Daily Mirror.Guardiola was previously linked with a swoop for the Brazilian and it is claimed that his successor as Barca boss, Tito Vilanova, is also keen.It is said that the Catalan giants are planning a massive bid for Luiz although it would take an offer of around £30m to prise him away from Stamford Bridge.The Mirror also say that new England manager Roy Hodgson wants Fulham coach Ray Lewington to be his assistant, while a number of papers suggest Rio Ferdinand is likely to tell Hodgson that he is willing to play alongside Chelsea’s John Terry at Euro 2012.And the Daily Mail report that Ezequiel Lavezzi, who is apparently wanted by Chelsea, is ready to leave Napoli after a dispute with president Aurelio de Laurentiis – but the Italians want £28m for him. Click here for Thursday’s QPR quizFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Hard-hitting batsman Aaron FinchHard-hitting batsman Aaron Finch has been appointed as the captain of Australia’s new Twenty20 team after George Bailey stepped down to concentrate on longer format of the game, Cricket Australia said on Monday.Finch said he was honoured and excited to be take on such a big responsibility.”Having the honour to captain your country in any form of the game is something that all young cricketers dream about. It came as a big surprise but it was a very nice phone call to receive from Rod Marsh,” said Finch.”I never imagined when captaining in the past that it would lead to national responsibilities. I’ve just set out to be the best player that I can and luckily an opportunity like this has come my way.”I have been fortunate enough to play under some fantastic captains, including Michael Clarke and George Bailey and I have learnt a lot from them.”It goes without saying that I will do my utmost in this role as we lead into the ICC World T20 in about eighteen months’ time. It’s going to be very exciting,” added the opening batsman, who averages 41.25 with a strike rate of 156 in 18 matches for Australia.Finch, made his T20 international debut in 2011, will replace Bailey who has chosen to stand down from the role to concentrate on his preparation for the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup and first-class cricket.National Selector Rod Marsh said: “Aaron is the world’s number-one ranked T20 International batsman and thoroughly deserves this opportunity.advertisement”He has gained quality leadership experience through his role as captain of the Melbourne Renegades and the Pune Warriors. He also captained Australia A against the England Lions last year and excelled when given that chance.”When George indicated that he was stepping down from the position, we thought Aaron was the obvious choice to succeed him. We know he will relish the opportunity to lead his country,” he said.”He has a task ahead of him. He is taking on a young side that is currently ranked fifth in the world. His first challenge will be building consistent performances as they head towards the ICC World Twenty20 in 2016,” Marsh said.The decision to appoint Finch as captain was ratified by Cricket Australia’s board of directors.Cricket Australia Chairman Wally Edwards said that Finch was a sound choice to lead the Australian side.”Aaron has demonstrated his class on and off the field for Australia in International Twenty 20 competition,” Edwards said.”He is an incredibly exciting limited overs player and a great role model for children playing and watching the game.”On behalf of the Cricket Australia Board, I’d like to congratulate him on his appointment and wish him well in this important job for Australian cricket.”