StumbleUpon EU research agency demands urgent action on loot box consumer safeguards July 29, 2020 On-course bookmakers return to UK courses in two-week trial August 17, 2020 With only 16 days to go until the Brexit deadline, the UK has been granted ‘national listed status’ by the European Union, which will ensure that racehorses can move across the borders in the event of a no-deal Brexit. While barriers to ‘seamless’ movement will still be in place, the third-country status is hoped to provide certainty for owners and trainers looking to race their horses in European meetings.British Horseracing Authority Executive Director Will Lambe commented: “This is very welcome news for our sector, and provides some important certainty ahead of a 31st October departure from the EU. “There will still be additional requirements for our participants wishing to travel a horse into the EU, but full guidance and assistance is available. We continue to support and appreciate the UK Government’s position that there will be no immediate change to arrangements for thoroughbreds travelling into the UK in the event of no deal.”As it stands, the movement of horses between France, Ireland and the UK is protected by the Tripartite agreement. If no deal is reached by 31 October the Tripartite Agreement will cease to exist, and both racehorses and breeding stock will not be able to travel between the EU and the UK at all.The current racing calendar is estimated to generate £11.5bn in bets for UK bookmakers, so it’s safe to say that any barriers to the movement of horses will have severe knock-on effects. The new listed status will ensure movement can still continue, but those looking to move racehorses will need to comply with new requirements such as going through the correct EU border inspection posts and adherence with certain veterinary protocols. Earlier this month, the UK racing industry was warned that it needs to begin making plans ahead of a potential no-deal Brexit scenario, in a note issued by the Brexit Steering Group. It was emphasised that ‘the political situation regarding the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union, currently scheduled for 31 October, remains unpredictable’, and the Group advised industry participants to ‘start making plans for how a no-deal Brexit might affect them.’Third country status has previously been awarded to the UK back in the spring of this year, however this was only granted one day before the initial Brexit deadline. The EU’s decision to award the status to the UK so far in advance of 31 October on this occasion could suggest that Boris Johnson’s government is more likely to pursue a no-deal Brexit. Share Related Articles HBLB gives £3.2m boost to UK racing August 13, 2020 Share Submit
Draymond Green is confident the Golden State Warriors can reach the NBA Finals for the sixth successive season.The Warriors have won three of those Finals but went down to the Toronto Raptors in six games last season. “Then you add in a young D’Angelo Russell, you add in Kevon Looney who just got a new contract — it is a lot of talent. Like I said, experience and also a lot of younger guys who are out to prove themselves.”Warriors teammate Stephen Curry said: “As long as we have the solid core that we’ve got. And the experiences to kind of back us up, we’re going to keep that goal in mind.”The fun part about it is that we get to kind of recreate the look of it and incorporating the new pieces that we have and that part’s the most exciting. The last five Finals have kind of been a certain way, so whatever we do from here, you’re going to enjoy it even more.” Since then, the Warriors have lost All-Star Kevin Durant to the Brooklyn Nets via free agency, while veteran Andre Iguodala was dealt to the Memphis Grizzlies and Shaun Livingston retired.Klay Thompson is also recovering from a torn ACL suffered in the Finals, yet Green remains bullish about Golden State’s chances in 2019-20.”I am not sure what everyone’s expectations are,” Green told ESPN. “We haven’t really had any team meetings yet. But I know what my expectations are — they don’t change from year to year. They are always the same.”Asked if the Warriors — who acquired D’Angelo Russell in the offseason — can reach the Finals, Green said: “Is Steph Curry on our team? Klay Thompson? “Yup.” Snack break #GSWMediaDay pic.twitter.com/Oj8fltyOoD— Golden State Warriors (@warriors) September 30, 2019Green added: “Because I think obviously what we have returning and myself, Steph and Klay — with the experience that we have, the championship pedigree that we have, and obviously all of us still being in our primes.
Jason Black having successfully climbed Everest in 2013.Mountaineer Jason Black is to attempt to become the first Irishman to successfully climb the world’s most challenging mountain.Black, 44, expects to take more than two months in his quest to conquer K2 in Pakistan.The Letterkenny man, who successfully climbed Everest in 2013, is to undertake the climb as part of an international team of mountaineers. The only other Irishman to attempt the 8,611 metre (28,251 ft) climb was Limerick man Ger McDonnell.Unfortunately McDonnell was killed when he was struck by an avalanche having successfully reached the summit in 2006.Black, who has been training for more than a year for his latest expedition, says he is under no illusion about the dangers which face him in his climb.Although K2 is approximately 100 metres smaller than Everest, it is 20% steeper and considered a much more perilous climb. Just 302 people have ever reached the top of K2 but 80 of those have never returned.Black, 44, said “I am under no illusion that some of our team may not come back. An average of 25% of those who attempt to climb K2 do not return.“But I know I am in peak condition, both physically and mentally. I have spoken with my wife about the reality this project and she has supported me all the way.“I know I am capable of climbing the moment but the reality is that a lot depends on Mother Nature up on that mountain,” he said.Black said he expects to lose two stone in weight during the climb and hopes to return to successfully tell his story to students across Donegal and Ireland when he returns.“This is not an ego trip for me. It is about pushing myself to the very limit and proving to myself that I can do it. “I want to come back in September and to be able to go into schools and to the children that they can raise their dreams and they can be the best at what they want to do and be.“That’s what it is about for me. I am very much aware that I will be the first Irishman to successfully summit and return from K2 if I make it but that means nothing to me,” he said.Black revealed that he will bring both an Irish and Donegal flag with him to raise aloft when he summits K2, known to mountaineers as Savage Mountain.* A full interview with Jason will be carried in tomorrow’s Donegal Daily. MOUNTAINEEER JASON BLACK TO TAKE ON HIS BIGGEST EVER CHALLENGE WITH CLIMB OF K2 was last modified: June 18th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalEverestJason BlackK2