Fry has since been arrested and charged with second-degree criminal mischief, though his motives remain unclear. According to Dallas CBS reporter MaryAnn Martinez, Fry was not targeting Fox News but ABC affiliate WFAA, which he has threatened in the past. As of late, the safety of American journalists has been repeatedly under threat, as seen by the most recent arrest of Robert Chain, the man responsible for sending numerous death threats to Boston Globe journalists. The United States ranks 45th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index after falling 2 places in the last year. September 10, 2018 US – #WeeklyAddress: September 3 – September 9: Trump accuses New York Times of “treason” for publishing anonymous op-ed United StatesAmericas Alex Jones berates CNN journalist before being banned from Twitter United StatesAmericas President Trump criticized NBC on Tuesday for how it handled reporter Ronan Farrow’s story on allegations against Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault and suggested further scrutiny of the outlet’s media license. Democratic Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel responded to Trump’s tweet, reminding the president that “this is not how it works.” Below her comments, Rosenworcel provided a link to the FCC’s rules on news licensing. Trump issued a similar threat against NBC and the legitimacy of its license in October 2017 on Twitter. Below are the most notable incidents regarding threats to press freedom in the US during the week of September 3 – September 9: WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists April 28, 2021 Find out more Early on September 6, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders criticized “the media’s wild obsession” with the unnamed “gutless loser” who wrote the anonymous New York Times op-ed and suggested people contact the newspaper for answers. In her tweet, Sanders included the newspaper’s phone number. As of late, journalists have received an increasing number of threatening phone calls, especially those who work for the Times. Sanders concluded her remarks by describing the Times as “the only ones complicit in this deceitful act” and reiterating the administration’s support of the president. News NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say News Organisation Follow the news on United States A Texas driver, in an alleged show of frustration over his friend’s death in 2012, drove his truck into the building of a Fox News-affiliated Dallas TV station on September 5. According to police, the driver, Michael Fry, then left a stack of papers outside the station and handwritten notes reading, “They tryed to kill me. And they missed. And hit him. They have been trying to killing me for years now.” Fry’s notes were in reference to the shooting he had been involved in six years prior that left his friend, Roberto Hernandez, dead. Fry also yelled “High treason!” in front of the building’s shattered windows. Most of the station’s staff were evacuated from the building as it was unclear whether he intended to target reporters. Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says RSF_en ANGELA WEISS / AFP Help by sharing this information “Infowars” host Alex Jones has been permanently banned from Twitter for heckling and insulting CNN journalist Oliver Darcy in between congressional hearings. As reporters waited to enter the House committee room where Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey would be testifying on September 5, Jones approached Darcy and proceeded to comment on the reporter’s physical appearance. Midway through his tirade, he even described Darcy as “a possum that crawled out of the rear end of a dead cow” and “the equivalent of like the Hitler Youth.” Jones posted the video to his website, “Infowars,” but received immediate backlash. In an official statement, Twitter said, “We took this action based on new reports of tweets and videos posted yesterday that violate our abusive behavior policy, in addition to the account’s previous violations.” Despite his claims of wrongful and biased censorship, Jones is facing multiple defamation lawsuits in relation to his claims that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax and that victims were actually child actors. Jones’ hostile conduct comes at a time when verbal aggression against American journalists has become more commonplace. News to go further For the latest updates, follow RSF on twitter @RSF_en. June 3, 2021 Find out more President Trump accuses NYT of “treason” and cites “national security” concern in response to anonymous op-ed by senior White House official President Donald Trump, in response to the anonymous New York Times op-ed that describes a movement of “resistance” within the administration, issued a one-word tweet invoking the question of “treason” before elaborating on his criticisms of the article in another tweet on September 5. The article, written by an unnamed White House senior official, describes officials’ efforts to “thwart parts of [Trump’s] agenda” and accuses the president of behaving “in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.”The next day, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders also issued an official statement, denouncing The New York Times for publishing the “pathetic, reckless, and selfish op-ed” that she described as “just another example of the liberal media’s concerted effort to discredit the president.” On September 7, Trump reiterated his accusation of treason and called on Attorney General Jeff Sessions to initiate a “national security” investigation to uncover the author’s identity. Although Trump has made numerous remarks about the credibility of news sources, his latest threat to the anonymous author raises alarms for those concerned about state censorship. President Trump criticizes NBC and questions legitimacy of its license Texas driver repeatedly crashes truck into Dallas TV station’s building June 7, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Press Secretary Sanders encourages supporters to call the NYT and ask for identity of anonymous op-ed author News
George Groves has predicted that his left hook will see him become a world champion in Saturday’s eagerly awaited rematch with Carl Froch at Wembley.Groves will be making his second attempt to take Froch’s IBF and WBA belts, having been controversially stopped in the ninth round when they met in November.Before that fight, Groves told Froch he would win the early exchanges and land with his right hand.The Hammersmith man was as good as his word, flooring Froch with a thumping right in the first round.He continued to dominate the fight only for referee Howard Foster to step in and end the contest following a flurry of shots from the champion.This time around Groves again promised to tell Froch at the final pre-fight press conference how he plans to win the fight.And he duly declared: “Anyone who has watched my media workouts will know we’ve been working on the left hook. And it’s the left hook that will finish Carl Froch.”Groves was furious when the first fight was halted.Froch, 36, was repeatedly tagged with punches before the contentious end to the pair’s first fight, but he insists he will deliver a clear-cut victory this time.“Of course I’ve still got what it takes and can still do what I do. Age, I know it’s a cliché, really is just a number,” Froch said.“I’m extremely confident and I put a lot of that down to the career I’ve had. Just enjoy it. I’m certainly going to.“When I turn up in the shape I am now, I’ve proved that I can perform at the top level and mix with the top fighters in the world.“I’m convinced this fight won’t go the distance. George Groves won’t hear the final bell.”But Groves, 10 years younger than his opponent, is convinced this weekend’s clash, which will be attended by a crowd of around 80,000, will herald his arrival as an elite-level fighter.The former British champion said: “We’ve worked on perfection in camp and this couldn’t be more perfect – I’m going to become world champion, in London, in front of so many people.“I’m going out on Saturday night to become champion and look very good doing it – and doing it on the biggest stage.“No stone has been left unturned. I’m fully prepared and can’t wait to become world champion.“I plan to arrive, not just in Britain but across the world, as a legitimate world champion and someone to be feared and chased.“I want to be a great ambassador for Britain on the world stage and it all starts on Saturday night.” West London Sport will have Twitter updates from Froch v Groves as well as James DeGale’s world title eliminator against Brandon Gonzales. See also:Heartbreak for Groves in world title clashFroch insists ref was right to stop fightPromoter predicts Froch-Groves rematchGroves: I’ll bounce back and be championGroves’ trainer reveals he had reservations about fight refereeFroch ordered to face Groves in rematchFroch-Groves rematch will be at WembleyGroves vows to avenge ‘stonewall robbery’Promoters Sauerland snap up Groves Froch ‘mentally more switched on’ for rematch, says HearnGroves’ trainer Fitzpatrick convinced Froch wanted to avoid rematchFroch sees rematch with Groves as the biggest fight of his careerGroves predicts ‘changing of the guard’ in rematch with FrochDeGale ready for crucial fight at WembleyGroves weighs in ahead of title rematchFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
McKinleyville >> If you didn’t know any better, you would have thought you were seeing double.That’s because of one simple reason: For the second time in the matter of five days, one of the youngest players on the Panthers’ roster proved to be the late-game hero.McKinleyville freshman Kyler Carr came off the bench and delivered the go-ahead hit with a two-out run-scoring single and junior DH Tyler Pelascini added an RBI double as the Panthers rallied for a 5-3 win over Del Norte on Wednesday …
A mural in Jersey City in the US celebrates Nelson Mandela’s legacy. (Image: Wally Gobetz, Flickr)As we approach the seventh Nelson Mandela International Day this July, we remember his remarkable life. Take this quiz to find out how much you know about the 95 years Madiba shared with us.Click on the image you think is the correct answer.When his son Makgatho died in 2005, what did Nelson Mandela announce to the world? Read more: My son died of Aids: Mandela In what year was Nelson Mandela born? Read more: Remembering Mandela, one year on Which of these quotes is NOT by Nelson Mandela? Read more: Nelson Mandela’s words of wisdom How many years did Nelson Mandela spend imprisoned on Robben Island? Read more: On this day 50 years ago, Mandela arrives on Robben Island What does Rolihlahla, Nelson Mandela’s forename, mean in isiXhosa? Read more: Mandela – childhood heroes and lessons What was the final sentence of Nelson Mandela’s famous statement from the dock at the Rivonia Trial on 20 April 1964? Read more: Audio of Mandela’s Rivonia Trial statement now online What was Nelson Mandela’s nickname when he was on the run from the apartheid police in the early 1960s? Read more: Nelson Mandela’s life on the run, captured From 1979 onwards, how many honorary degrees were bestowed on Nelson Mandela from universities across the world? In what year did Nelson Mandela found the African National Congress Youth League? How old was Nelson Mandela when he married Graça Machel, the widow of slain Mozambican president Samora Machel?
‘Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance PLAY LIST 01:30’Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance01:18Why some freed inmates prefer to stay in jail01:34Cone believes San Miguel ‘greatest team’ in this era01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Read Next San Miguel’s Arwind Santos. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSan Miguel shrugged off a listless first half and fought off a tough NLEX crew, 109-98, to stay unbeaten in the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup Friday at Cuneta Astrodome.Arwind Santos was all over the court for the Beermen, doing it all for his squad with 26 points on 5-of-12 shooting from three, to go with 13 rebounds, four assists, two steals, and two blocks.ADVERTISEMENT Asian shares slide on weak Japan data; US markets closed Marcio Lassiter also shot 3-of-8 from threes to nab 14 markers to go with his four boards and four dimes.As elated as coach Leo Austria is for the win, he didn’t expect the game to come easy for the Beermen given the heightened sense of urgency for NLEX, which has now lost its last three assignments.“With NLEX losing their last two games, we knew they will come out hard and it happened. They refused to lose because of their pride and experience. I knew from the start that this will be an exciting game even though in the last few minutes, we’re leading in double figures. But I’m happy to see my players persevere and get this win,” he said.Second overall pick Kiefer Ravena continued to impress in this duel against famed backcourt defenders, finishing with 15 points, six assists, and three rebounds.Alex Mallari, JR Quiñahan, and Raul Soyud had 12 in the losing effort as the Road Warriors fell to 2-3.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Nadal into 4th round; Ostapenko out of Australian Open MOST READ BI on alert for illegally deployed OFWs to Iraq Do not bring these items in SEA Games venues Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 8th Top Leaders Forum assessed the progress of public-private efforts in building climate and disaster resilient communities June Mar Fajardo was also instrumental in the win, unloading 11 of his 25 markers in the third quarter comeback after San Miguel battled back from a nine-point halftime deficit, while also hauling down 16 boards, two dimes, a steal, and a block.After the Road Warriors took a 58-49 lead at the halftime break, the real Beermen came out to play in the third quarter as it went to Fajardo and set up the see-saw battle.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutTensions arose in the final five minutes of the game after Michael Miranda got ejected for kicking Chris Ross, who was also thrown out after engaging in a verbal altercation with NLEX coach Yeng Guiao with 1:46 to play.Alex Cabagnot, who also corralled 14 points, nine assists, and seven rebounds in the win, and Santos delivered the coup de grace as San Miguel stayed on top of the standings at 4-0. LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC The Scores:SAN MIGUEL 109 — Santos 26, Fajardo 25, Cabagnot 14, Lassiter 14, Pessumal 10, Ganuelas-Rosser 6, De Ocampo 4, Ross 4, Heruela 2, Mamaril 2, Semerad 2.NLEX 98 — Ravena 15, Mallari 12, Quiñahan 12, Soyud 12, Miranda 10, Tiongson 8, Fonacier 6, Uyloan 6, Al-Hussaini 5, Alas 5, Taulava 3, Baguio 2, Gotladera 2.Quarters: 31-24, 49-58, 74-74, 109-98. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH View comments