RSF_en News News WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists United StatesAmericas Below are the most notable stories regarding threats to press freedom in the U.S. during the week of May 29 – June 4: Follow the news on United States Below are the most notable stories regarding threats to press freedom in the U.S. during the week of May 29-June 4: 1. Tuesday, May 30, marked the first televised White House press briefing since May 18. This was one of three televised briefings this week. A fourth briefing took place, but the White House banned television cameras and the briefing lasted for less than 12 minutes. President Trump has been considering decreasing the frequency of on-camera White House press briefings. 2. During the May 30 press briefing, Brian Karem, a reporter for Maryland newspaper The Sentinel, asked Press Secretary Sean Spicer if the Trump administration will take a stand against violence against journalists. Spicer responded, “We’ll take a stance against violence against any individual.” When Karem followed up by asking if the administration would support legislation to protect journalists, Spicer said: “We have a Constitution, Brian, that supports the First Amendment.” While working for Texas television station KMOL-TV in 1990, Karem was arrested and sentenced to six months in jail for refusing to reveal the names of sources who helped him get interviews with a jailed murder suspect. He was released after two weeks, when his source released Karem from his promise of confidentiality. Karem is now an advocate for adopting a federal shield law. 3. RSF is tracking an incident that occurred at the office of a newspaper in London, Kentucky, last weekend. On the morning of Sunday, May 28, windows on the lower levels of the Lexington-Herald Leader’s building were shattered, and two windows on the upper level were damaged with what appear to be small-caliber bullets.Police have yet to identify a suspect, though they have noted that similar cases of vandalism have occurred in the last month at other locations near the newspaper’s building, including an elementary school. The Lexington Herald-Leader had not received any specific threat in relation to the vandalism. The United States ranks 43rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index after falling 2 places in the last year.For the latest updates, follow RSF on twitter @RSF_en. June 5, 2017 RSF’s #WeeklyAddress on US press freedom: Week of May 29 – June 4 to go further News Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says June 3, 2021 Find out more NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Organisation Help by sharing this information April 28, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts United StatesAmericas News June 7, 2021 Find out more
WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists PalestineMiddle East – North Africa RSF_en The authorities are still responding with violence to the continuing street demonstrations in Libya and Yemen and, in an attempt to prevent the circulation of images of the protests, they are still using force against the journalists who try to cover them. Israel now holding 13 Palestinian journalists News Organisation Libya The signal of the TV satellite Nilesat, which includes Al-Hurra, Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya, has been jammed since 23 February. These three stations have been providing live coverage of the recent unrest and have been interviewing Libyan residents by telephone.Several foreign journalists have been able to enter Libya across the Egyptian border. The Libyan authorities nonetheless continue to impose a news blackout on the unfolding events and often blame the unrest on the foreign media. Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi described foreign TV stations as “stray dogs” on 21 February. The foreign minister said journalists who enter Libya “illegally” would be treated by the pro-Gaddafi forces as agents working for Al-Qaeda. Gaza Strip PalestineMiddle East – North Africa March 1, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Forced being used to restrict media coverage of street protests News Follow the news on Palestine Help by sharing this information The security forces yesterday prevented many journalists from covering the sit-in which young people staged in the Square of the Unknown Soldier in the Gaza City neighbourhood of Rimal in order to appeal for reconciliation among Palestinians. No photographer was allowed to take photos. A campaign called “The People Want the End of Divisions” has been launched on Facebook. to go further May 28, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts June 3, 2021 Find out more News Yemen Three plainclothes men using a vehicle with police licence plates stormed the headquarters of Union of Journalists in Sanaa on the morning of 26 February, insulting and threatening the journalists who were there. The head of the union, Marwan Damaj, said he filed a complaint with the interior ministry, which denied any role in the incident.A crew working for the Qatar-based satellite TV station Al-Jazeera was prevented from covering a sit-in at Change Square in Sanaa on 26 February. The station said the Yemeni authorities told its correspondents, Abdulhaq Sadah and Ahmed Zaidan, to leave the country immediately. It was the second time the authorities have tried to ban these two journalists from covering the anti-government protests taking place in several of Yemen’s cities.The local independent news website, Masdar Online, one of the country’s most popular sites, was blocked by the authorities on 26 February for the fifth time. It has ben providing a great deal of coverage of the recent demonstrations in Aden, Sanaa and other governorates, accompanying its reports with videos. In a statement, the site said it has been the target of many cyber-attacks in the past.Aden province security forces physically attacked a cameraman working for the opposition TV station Sahil on 25 February, and briefly detained four reporters – Marzaq Yassin, Abdelrahman Anis, Bassem Sha’bi and Fares Jalal – while they were covering a demonstration.Reporters Without Borders hails the firm position taken by United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay, who said in statement today: “People have the legitimate right to express their grievances and demands to their government (…) Violent responses, in breach of international law, do not make the protesters go away and only serve to exacerbate their frustration and anger.” RSF asks ICC prosecutor to say whether Israeli airstrikes on media in Gaza constitute war crimes May 16, 2021 Find out more
USC men’s tennis continued its undefeated start to the season over the weekend, winning the ITA Kick-Off Weekend championship with victories over East Tennessee State and San Diego. The No. 8 Trojans hosted the tournament at Marks Stadium, and they took advantage of their home court in their opening match against the Buccaneers and the championship matchup versus the Toreros.ETSU was USC’s first opponent of the weekend, and the Trojans cruised to a 4-0 sweep on Saturday. Senior Nick Crystal and sophomore Laurens Verboven teamed up to get the match off to a fast start with a 6-1 win over the Buccaneers’ Robert Herrerra and Diego Nuñez. Junior Thibault Forget and sophomore Jack Jaede picked up a 6-2 victory not long after to clinch the doubles point for USC.Jaede then took his momentum into singles play, recording a 6-1, 6-2 win and doubling the Trojans’ advantage on the scoreboard. Freshman Riley Smith won his match 6-4, 6-2 to put USC one point away from advancing to the championship, and Crystal’s 6-4, 6-1 victory punched the Trojans’ ticket.San Diego met USC in the final on Sunday after defeating Virginia Tech before the Trojans took the court against ETSU. USC dominated in doubles play, with Smith and freshman Brandon Holt easing to a 6-2 win to kick things off. Senior Rob Bellamy and sophomore Jake DeVine then got the Trojans on the board with another 6-2 victory.Crystal grabbed the first point in singles play, beating the Toreros’ Josh Page 6-1, 6-3, before Holt put USC up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win. Smith clinched the championship with a 6-1, 6-3 victory, and the Trojans took home a 6-1 win over San Diego once the rest of the matches were played to completion.In the remainder of games, sophomore Logan Smith battled back from an 0-2 deficit to win 6-2, 6-4, and Jaede edged a three-set match 6-0, 3-6, 6-3. DeVine came up short in the only Trojan loss over the weekend, falling to Joel Gamerov. DeVine battled through multiple tiebreakers, losing one in the first set and another in the decisive final set. Despite putting up a tough fight, DeVine ultimately fell 7-6 (3), 3-6, 1-0 (10-3). USC is now 5-0 overall on the season, but the team has yet to play away from the friendly confines of Marks Stadium. The Trojans will go on the road for the first time this year for their next matchup, as they travel to Gainesville, Fla. for the Pac-12/SEC Showdown. They will take on hosts Florida on Saturday and Georgia on Sunday.
Sumner Newscow report â€” The February 4, 2014 Wellington City Council meeting will begin at 5 p.m. at the City Administration building, 317 S. Washington, Wellington, Kansas.Â The regular start time of 6:30 p.m. for the City Council meetings will resume with the February 18, 2014 meeting.There is a Wellington High School basketball game scheduled that night when Rose Hill is in town.