NextEra Energy planning its first green hydrogen project

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Greentech Media:NextEra Energy is closing its last coal-fired power unit and investing in its first green hydrogen facility.Through its Florida Power & Light utility, NextEra will propose a $65 million pilot in the Sunshine State that will use a 20-megawatt electrolyzer to produce 100 percent green hydrogen from solar power, the company revealed on Friday.The project, which could be online by 2023 if it receives approval from state regulators, would represent the first step into green hydrogen for NextEra Energy, by far the largest developer and operator of wind, solar and battery plants in North America.“We’re really excited about hydrogen, in particular when we think about getting not to a net-zero emissions profile but actually to a zero-emissions carbon profile,” NextEra Energy CFO Rebecca Kujawa said on Friday’s earnings call. “When we looked at this five or 10 years ago and thought about what it would take to get to true zero emissions, we were worried it was extraordinarily expensive for customers,” Kujawa said.“What makes us really excited about hydrogen — particularly in the 2030 and beyond timeframe — is the potential to supplement a significant deployment of renewables [and energy storage]. That last amount of emissions you’d take out of the system to get down to zero could be most economically served by hydrogen.”The green hydrogen produced by Florida Power & Light’s electrolyzers would be used to replace a portion of the natural gas that’s consumed by the turbines at FPL’s existing 1.75-gigawatt Okeechobee gas-fired plant, Kujawa said. The electricity will come from solar power that would otherwise have been “clipped,” or gone unused. If the hydrogen economy scales up and green hydrogen becomes economic, Florida Power & Light would likely retrofit some of its gas facilities to run wholly or partially on hydrogen, Kujawa said.[Karl-Erik Stromsta]More: NextEra Energy to build its first green hydrogen plant in Florida NextEra Energy planning its first green hydrogen projectlast_img read more

Read Full Article

Lakers’ practice facility will reopen on limited basis Saturday

first_imgWith the blessing of L.A. County health officials, the Lakers will reopen their practice facility on a limited basis Saturday for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic suspended the NBA season March 11 and subsequently shuttered team training centers, reported the Athletic’s Shams Chanaria on Friday morning.The UCLA Health Training Center in El Segundo will be open to players and personnel in accordance with the NBA’s strict guidelines and will be open fewer than seven days per week.In areas where that has been permitted by local public health officials, the NBA began permitting teams to reopen practice facilities last week for voluntary, social-distanced workouts in accordance with the detailed safety protocols the NBA crafted with guidance from health officials, the CDC and infectious disease specialists.According to a release from the league, that means teams will have to abide by the following restrictions: Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers• No more than four players will be permitted at a facility at any one time;• No head or assistant coaches can participate;• Group activity (including practices and scrimmages) remains prohibited;• Players continue to be barred from using non-team facilities (such as public health clubs or fitness centers) to work out.In a Zoom video conference with reporters last week, Lakers coach Frank Vogel said he was looking forward to the facility’s reopening. “It’s a great unknown when you have players that have been unable to be on the basketball court for this long. No one has ever really been around this type of situation so I think we’re all going to put our heads together, rely heavily on the guidance of our sports performance team, the common sense of our coaching staff and try to build them up at the right pace and try to find that balance.”L.A. County announced last week that a limited number of businesses – including golf courses as well as those selling toys, books, clothing, sporting goods, music and flowers – would be able to open with safety measures in place. Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed center_img Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers “Like the whole reopening of our country, it’s going to be done in phases,” Vogel said. “The NBA has rolled out what the first phase looked like for us. No more than four players at a time with one coach and there’s obviously limitations to what you can really get accomplished in that setting. However, that’s a big step from where they’ve been for the last six or seven weeks or wherever that is. I think we have to find that balance of pushing their conditioning without breaking down their bodies.Related Articles Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Read Full Article

Florida Doctors Preparing for More Cases of Children’s Illness

first_imgWith the coronavirus still occupying most of their time and attention, doctors in the Sunshine State are dealing with another challenge – a COVID-19-related illness that attacks children and teens.The disease, in which several body parts such as the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, gastrointestinal tract, skin or eyes can become inflamed, has infected children and young adults under the age of 21. New York City has reported that 147 children have the condition.Known as MIS-C, the illness has made its way to Florida with seven confirmed cases, and medical professionals expect to see more.The condition, although rare, often appears quickly, requires hospitalization, and could become life-threatening if it affects the heart or kidneys.Officials at six of Florida children’s hospitals say they have admitted and are monitoring children with suspected MIS-C cases.“Only a small number of children experience MIS-C, but it can be serious and require a lot of support system,” explains Dr. Balagangadhar Totapally, chief of the division of critical care medicine at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami.The most common symptoms are persistent fever and abdominal pain and sometimes a rash or pink eye. Previous exposure to COVID-19 appears to be the main risk for becoming infected with the new illness.Most young people with MIS-C have antibodies against the coronavirus, instead of actually having been infected.Doctors believe that factor suggests that the syndrome could be the result of a delayed immune response that appears about four weeks after being exposed to the coronavirus.“MIS-C presents a few weeks after the peak of infection in a community, so that’s right about now,” Totapally adds.Nicklaus Children’s Hospital is creating a specialized unit for the treatment of children with MIS-C. It will include a four-room pod as part of the hospital’s 40-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.Totapally’s hospital reported its first case about 10 days ago. He believes Florida may have more cases of the children’s illness than what the state numbers reflect. Although the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week created guidance to diagnose MIS-C, “borderline cases may not show up in the numbers,” Totapally says. At least 12 children in South Florida are being monitored for the illness.In young children, symptoms of the MIS-C usually resemble those of Kawasaki disease, which is a rare and milder inflammatory illness. However, teens and young adults seem to have a more inflammatory response to MIS-C. Researchers now believe that some children who were originally diagnosed with Kawasaki disease in the U.S. between January and May of this year may actually have had MIS-C instead.At Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood, a section within the COVID-19 unit has been created for children who are thought to have MIS-C. “There is an area now where we do have children undergoing testing to rule out as to whether they have MIS-C. If they all came in presenting the same way, life would be easier for everyone involved,” says Dr. Laura D’Addese, a pediatric cardiologist.She adds, “The biggest concern we have right now, especially in kids, is largely stemming from inflammation around the heart,” D’Addese said. In South Florida, children’s hospitals are sharing research and experiences.According to Dr. Paul Robinson, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics Florida Chapter, the state’s pediatricians are on alert. “About 99 percent of the time the children have fevers and they look sick. It should be easy for a doctor,” he says. “If they have seen Kawasaki, they should be comfortable finding this and telling the patient to go to the hospital.Although there is no cure for MIS-C at this time, local doctors say their patients respond to treatment fairly quickly. Dr. Totapally, at Nicklaus in Miami, says children improve “usually within days.”As of this week, more than 20 states around the country have reported cases of MIS-C. At least four children, including three in New York and a 15-year-old girl in Maryland, have died of apparent MIS-C in recent weeks.UPDATED: Local Children Diagnosed with Illness Possibly Linked to COVID-19last_img read more

Read Full Article

Champions League game between Atalanta and Valencia tracked as ‘ground zero’ for Italy’s Coronavirus…

first_imgImage Courtesy: Getty/AFPAdvertisement r3NBA Finals | Brooklyn VsrunWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E5xdtm( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) sd8b8Would you ever consider trying this?😱2pc9nCan your students do this? 🌚abmxRoller skating! Powered by Firework What started in the city of Wuhan in China, the novel Coronavirus, which has now turned into a pandemic, has spread into other countries, and the most devastated impact has been suffered by Italy. The European country has the highest number of deaths at 7503, with over 74,000 positive cases reported. While the country has been under lock down and every major sporting event is cancelled, experts have gone through a thorough analysis on what could possible be the factor behind such a huge below from the virus, and it turns out, the UEFA Champions League match between Atalanta and Valencia back in 19th February.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty/AFPMore than month as passed since the La Dea defeated Valencia 4-1 in the Round of 16 first leg match at the San Siro Stadium. Acording to reports from the Associated Press, more than 40,000 people from the city of Bergamo was present for the game, which has now turned into a graveyard with the highest number of deaths in the country.A total of over 7,000 Coronavirus cases have been registered in Bergamo, with at least 1,000 confirmed deaths, and has now been termed as the epicentre of the virus outbreak in Italy.Advertisement Just two days after the match, the first positive Coronavirus case was registered in the country, and which soon turned worse than imaginable, putting Italy into a nationwide lock down.“We were mid-February so we didn’t have the circumstances of what was happening,” said  Giorgio Gori, the Mayor of Bergamo.Advertisement “If it’s true what they’re saying that the virus was already circulating in Europe in January, then it’s very probable that 40,000 Bergamaschi in the stands of San Siro, all together, exchanged the virus between them,” Gori spoke to Foreign Press Association in Rome.The spectators from Bergamo gathered up in Milan after Atalanta’s home stadium, the Stadio Atleti Azzurri was rejected by UEFA as not meeting the standards for a Champions League match. Following the match, they availed several public transport to return, which has been pointed out to be a major catalyst behind the virus spread in the country.“As is possible that so many Bergamaschi that night got together in houses, bars to watch the match and did the same. Unfortunately, we couldn’t have known. No one knew the virus was already here,” the Mayor added.Additionally, 35% of Valencia’s team had also tested positive, along with over 2600 reported cases from Valencia, the Spanish city from where around 2500 fans flew to Italy for the game.Also read-José Mourinho’s touch of class towards vulnerable elderly as Coronavirus spreads in England Advertisementlast_img read more

Read Full Article