Facebook Print NewsBreaking newsJury to deliberate tiger kidnap trial verdictBy Staff Reporter – October 24, 2013 818 WhatsApp Previous articleBasketball Ireland weekend previewNext articleMunster name side to face Glasgow Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The jury in the trial of man accused of kidnapping the son of a post mistress will begin their deliberations today. 34-year-old Zachary Coughlan Ryan with an address at Brennan’s Row, Cathedral Place, is alleged to have been one of three men armed and masked who kidnapped Stephen Cusack and his friend Niall Reddan from a house in Castletroy in August of last year. The accused pleaded not guilty to the false imprisonment of the two men on August 19/20, 2012.After four weeks of evidence, the jury heard evidence from the two injured parties and a number of witnesses over duration of the trial. The jury of 11 heard that a €500,000 ransom was demanded for the safe release of Stephen Cusack. They also heard that Coughlan Ryan dyed his hair a number of days after the alleged incident took place.Limerick Circuit Court was told that Stephen Cusack, the son of a Limerick post mistress and his friend, Niall Reddan, were bundled into a pick-up truck and taken to a derelict house in County Limerick. A ransom demand of €500,000 was made to Mr Cusack’s family for his safe release.Tara Troy told the court that she bought hair dye for Zachary Coughlan-Ryan three days after the alleged kidnapping.A resident of Johnsgate but formerly of Brennan’s Row, the 30-year-old mother said she knew Coughlan-Ryan after she met him with others in August 2012. He had stayed overnight on her couch a number of occasions.Coughlan-Ryan called to her home on the night of the alleged kidnap shortly after 8pm and stayed for a number of hours before leaving sometime after 11pm. He returned after 2pm when he knocked on her window and stayed for the remainder of the night.Replying to defence counsel Brendan Nix SC, Ms Troy said she spoke to two gardaí within the last week and they told her what to say in evidence.Sgt Mary Walsh attached to Henry Street Garda Station told the court that the accused man was selected in an identity parade by one of the alleged kidnap victims.The trial, one of the longest to run at Limerick Circuit Court in recent times, had entered its fourth week as evidence concluded with Ms Troy confirming that she bought blonde hair dye for the accused in the days after the alleged kidnap.Evidence was also given about mobile phone usage as well as the movements and calls made by a number of parties involved in the case.The trial before Judge Carroll Moran had earlier heard Stephen Cusack and Niall Reddan give evidence of being bound and gagged at gunpoint a house in Castletroy on the night of August 19/20, 2012.Niall Reddan said he was told he would be kneecapped by his abductors who identified themselves as Continuity IRA.The kidnappers told him he would be killed if he looked at their faces. He was also told that Stephen Cusack would be killed if he told the gardaí about the kidnap when he was released on a county Limerick roadway.Both alleged victims told the trial at Limerick Circuit that two men took them from the house while a third man waited outside. The were armed and masked.In closing speeches, John O’Sullivan prosecution for the State said that it was “absurd” to think that the two young men made up the story of being kidnapped. “They are two truthful and reliable stories from young lads”, said Mr O’Sullivan who added that there is “consistencies in their stories”. Mr O’Sullivan added that it was “fanciful and nonsensical” to think that they made up the story of being kidnapped. Defence Counsel Brendan Nix SC told the jury that the gardai did not investigate the incident thoroughly and that one of the injured parties had prior knowledge of the events before the kidnap unfolded. Judge Carroll Moran gave his charge to the jury and sent the jury to deliberate their verdict. Twitter Email Advertisement Linkedin
NewsHub 2 November 2016Allowing assisted dying will create a contagion effect that will only make New Zealand’s suicide crisis worse, Family First’s national director Bob McCroskie believes.Mr McCroskie has hit out at media reports making “heroes” of terminally ill people advocating for the right to die saying it will be a trigger for vulnerable people, and says reporting guidelines are important.“It is demoralising to know that these guidelines were widely ignored in reporting of recent incidences of assisted suicide with the subject’s decision to end his or her life frequently presented as inspiring and even heroic,” he told parliament’s health committee on Wednesday.Coverage of Lecretia Seales’ High Court bid for the right to die also impacted the number of people considering euthanasia, he said.“It cannot be ruled out that there is risk related to the increased publicity given to the idea of euthanasia and assisted suicide and in addition those in palliative care report that during the Seales High Court case in 2015 there was a discernible increase in the number of patients and families expressing a desire to access assisted suicide euthanasia,” he said.Instead Mr McCroskie wants to see coverage focus on people with suicide ideations who did not end their lives but find the strength to overcome adversity.The health committee is hearing 1800 submissions in an investigation into public attitudes towards assisted dying, following a petition by former Labour MP Maryan Street.http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/family-first-suicide-crisis-could-worsen-2016110218 Today in Parliament for 2 November 2016Radio NZ 2 November 2016Family First director Bob McCoskrie makes submission to Health Committee’s inquiry into public attitudes towards euthanasia.LISTEN NOW: http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/inparliament/audio/201822255/today-in-parliament-for-2-november-2016
NINE-RACE CARD INCLUDES FOUR GRADED STAKES WITH FIRST POST TIME AT 12:30 P.M. ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 5, 2016)–There is a Pick Six carryover of $40,671 into Saturday at Santa Anita and it’s expected Saturday’s total Pick Six pool should approach $400,000 as four graded stakes will be included in an outstanding nine-race program.With the Grade III, $150,000 Robert B. Lewis carded as race four on Saturday, the Pick Six will get off to a classy beginning as Bob Baffert’s talented Mor Spirit, to be ridden by Gary Stevens, has been installed as the 8-5 morning line favorite in a field of seven 3-year-olds at 1 1/16 miles.Saturday’s fifth race, the Grade II, $300,000 Las Virgenes Stakes, will mark the 3-year-old debut of undefeated Eclipse Champion Filly Songbird, who will be ridden by Mike Smith and is a prohibitive 1-5 morning line favorite for Jerry Hollendorfer.An important steppingstone to the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap, the Grade II, $500,000 San Antonio Stakes, which is carded as Saturday’s seventh race, is headed by 5-2 morning line favorite Imperative, who is trained by Richard Baltas and will be ridden by Mike Smith.The Grade II, $200,000 San Marcos Stakes, at a mile and a quarter on turf for older horses, has been carded as the eighth race and offers fans a field of 11, with English-bred Hay Dude serving as the 5-2 morning line choice. Trained by Phil D’Amato, Hay Dude will be ridden by apprentice David Lopez.First post time on Saturday is at 12:30 p.m., admission gates open at 10:30 a.m. For complete morning line information and late changes, please visit santaanita.com.
Loic Remy starts for QPR against Hull and there are debuts for new signings Rio Ferdinand, Steven Caulker and Jordon Mutch. QPR: Green: Caulker, Ferdinand, Dunne; Simpson, Barton, Faurlin, Mutch, Traore; Remy, Austin. Subs: Murphy, Hill, Phillips, Onuoha, Henry, Hoilett, Zamora. Hull: McGregor, Davies, Chester, Bruce, Elmohamady, Robertson, Huddlestone, Livermore, Snodgrass, Ince, Jelavic. Subs: Harper, McShane, Figueroa, Meyler, Quinn, Brady, Aluko.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
A court here on Monday sentenced 13 people, including 11 former policemen, to life imprisonment in a 2014 kidnapping and murder case of a jail inmate.Quantum of punishmentThe court of Additional Sessions Judge Sandeep Singh Bajwa pronounced the quantum of the punishment. The court had convicted all the accused last week. All 13 people have been sentenced to life imprisonment, Public Prosecutor Rittu Madan told reporters here. They include former Inspector Narang Singh, former Assistant Sub-Inspectors Gulshanbir Singh and Sawinder Singh, ex-Head Constables Jagjit Singh, Gurpreet Singh and Lakhwinder Singh, ex-Constables Makhtool Singh, Angrej Singh, Lakhwinder Singh, Amandeep Singh and Randhir Singh of the Punjab Police. The two others are Deep Raj Singh and Jagtar Singh. On May 5, 2014, jail inmate Bikramjit Singh, who was serving life imprisonment in a murder case, was taken to a government hospital here for treatment. ‘Inhuman torture’He was kidnapped from the hospital by a police team led by Narang Singh and taken to Batala, where he was tortured and then murdered, according to the complaint filed by the victim’s brother, Dalbir Singh. Following Bikramjit’s abduction, the police had initially registered a case against him on May 6, 2014, alleging that he escaped from custody. But later, the policemen and two others were booked for his murder. All the accused have been held guilty under Sections 302 (murder), 364 (kidnapping), 342 (wrongful confinement) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC. One yet to be arrestedA total of 14 people were nominated in this case and one accused, identified as former ASI Baljit Singh, was declared a proclaimed offender and is yet to be arrested.
For Sena Devi and her husband Ambalal, it initially sounded like a windfall. Poona Ram, a local agent in their village of Sameliya in Rajasthan’s Rajsamand district, informed them they could get ₹55,000 to help with marriage costs for their daughter Manju under a government scheme for the families of construction workers. The only hitch? They first had to come up with ₹7,500 to pay the agent’s “commission”.Having scrounged together the money to pay off the agent, the couple was shocked when a government labour inspector named Lohar then demanded an additional ₹5,000 bribe – ₹1,000 before and ₹4,000 after the benefit came through. Seeing no other option, they paid the sum.At a public hearing in Bhim town on Monday, Ambalal stood up with at least eight other beneficiaries from his village to denounce both the agent and the inspector in front of the local Congress MLA, the district labour commissioner and senior police officers. “They have cheated us. We did not know our own rights and we could see no other way to get the benefit,” he said.A week-long social audit of the Building and Other Construction Workers (BOCW) welfare scheme in 12 panchayats culminated in an often-stormy ‘jan sunvai’ in front of the Bhim block office, as angry workers aired their grievances. The audit showed that poor construction workers are being swindled out of thousands of rupees worth of benefits due to a nexus between unscrupulous agents and public officials.Under the BOCW Welfare Cess Act, 1996, a cess levied on builders and contractors is used to fund welfare schemes for workers. In Rajasthan, one of the most popular schemes is Shubh Shakti, which offers ₹55,000 to defray wedding costs for workers’ daughters who have completed Class 8. Other schemes include health, pregnancy and scholarship benefits to registered workers.Applying for a BOCW registration should cost only ₹146 according to the government rate card, while applications for benefit schemes cost ₹40 each. In reality, workers from village after village gave details of harassment by agents, e-mitra (service centre) operators, sarpanches and labour officials who demand bribes and block approvals under the scheme.Dali Devi, from Padmela Barar village, applied for childbirth benefits of ₹21,000, paying an agent who kept demanding additional documents and additional bribes. “I went to Bhim four or five times, but I have a small child and could not keep it up. What is the use?” she said in a soft voice, keeping face and head covered. Now her daughter is two and a half years old, and she has had a second child – for whom she is owed another ₹21,000 – and has yet to see a single paisa of the benefit.‘Zero tolerance’“This kind of corruption has become institutionalised. I want to assure you that this will be investigated and action will be taken. [Chief Minister] Ashok Gehlot’s government has zero tolerance for corruption,” said Sudarshan Singh, MLA, addressing the 600-strong crowd. Police officials took down complaints against 15 offenders and promised to file FIRs. Joint Labour Commissioner Prem Prakash Sharma promised action would be taken on all grievances within a week, but admitted that there has not yet been follow-up on the complaints from a similar audit and public hearing conducted in Beawar town 12 days ago.
CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH PLAY LIST 05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice Read Next Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa MOST READ QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion View comments “The professional game is a different game. Everyone that you face there, they’re at the highest basketball level in the land. Everyone there is exemplary,” he said.With Flores is expected to be given heavy minutes due to the lean GlobalPort frontline, Codiñera is putting the pressure on his prized big man to outwork everybody in training camp hoping that his student reach the same level he did in his heyday.“It’s no longer developmental there. When you go to the pros, you should have mastered the fundamentals already,” he said.“What he’ll be facing there are finished products and he shouldn’t wait for them to break down. He must learn how to develop his game on his own.”ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES And after the 25-year-old was selected ninth overall in the annual rookie proceedings, the PBA legend is just hoping for the best for his former slotman.“I already told him everything I needed to tell him. All I can say is for him to have good luck,” said Codiñera.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutFlores averaged 10.2 points, 8.7 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, and 1.3 assists in his final year with the Chiefs, solidifying his case as one of the top defensive players in the collegiate league.But for Codiñera, who built a PBA lore on the defensive end which earned him the moniker “The Defense Minister,” establishing the same reputation in the PBA for Flores is a different story. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Kris Aquino ‘pretty chill about becoming irrelevant’ Jeron Teng glad to see familiar face at sidelines in Altamirano Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netBeing drafted is one thing, staying in the league is another.Those were the last reminders Arellano coach Jerry Codiñera gave to his hardworking big man Lervin Flores going into the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft.ADVERTISEMENT
(Eds: Updating with final match result) Doha, Apr 28 (PTI) Indias top cueist Pankaj Advani lost to Chinas Lv Haotian in the summit clash of Asian Snooker Championship here today, as he failed in his bid to win the continental double of billiards and snooker titles in the same year. Advani lost 3-6 in the final to his Chinese opponent and it meant that he could not become the first player to win both Asian titles in Billiards and Snooker in same calendar year. The defeat in the final also meant that Advani could not complete a career Grand Slam in cue sport. Having won all the major events — Nationals, Asian and World Championships in both Billiards and Snooker and in both the long and short formats, this is the one title (15-red Asian Snooker) that has eluded Advani. A victory will make Advani only player in history to win all Majors in two sports at all levels and across all formats. The Chinese player took the first frame before Advani drew parity. This was the only time the two finalists were on equal terms. From there, Haotian was on song as he scored heavily to always keep the sixteen-time world champion Indian at bay. At 1-3 and just before the interval, Advani made a comeback with two well-crafted breaks to give himself a chance at a recovery. But at 2-3, Advani was yet again kept away from the table by his Chinese opponent. At 3-4, Haotian won the next two frames narrowly to clinch the Asian snooker title. Advani lost 32-95(65), 75(58)-31, 43-69, 24-65(57), 78-0, 6-102(102), 61-48, 48-59, 69-71. This is the first silver Advani has won this season, the rest all gold medals — at the National Championships of Billiards, 6-red Snooker and 15-red Snooker, as well as the Asian Billiards Championship. Advani will now prepare to defend his Asian 6-red Snooker title next month in Kyrgyzstan. PTI PDS PDSadvertisement
Arsenal favourites as Aston Villa disappointed after Cahill talksby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAston Villa have found the personal demands of Chelsea captain Gary Cahill too rich.The Telegraph says Villa had held talks with the 33-year-old but cannot meet the demands Chelsea have put on the table.The Blues want Cahill’s £110,000-a-week wages paid in full if he is to leave Stamford Bridge on loan.And the former England international is said to want a similar sum if he was to make a permanent move to Villa Park.Arsenal boss Unai Emery could make a surprise raid for him instead.Arsenal could get a deal done on New Years Day if all parties can reach a swift agreement. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Guardiola denies Man City pitch-tampering for Liverpoolby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City manager Pep Guardiola has denied he tampered with the pitch before Thursday’s win over Liverpool.There has been talk that the Spaniard ordered City groundstaff to grow the grass extra-long in a bid to stifle Liverpool’s quick-passing game.”I’m not the groundskeeper,” said Guardiola. “I never did. If they want to play quick, we want to play quicker. We always try to put water on, but it’s not necessary here.”We want to cut the field – it’s better conditions for both teams. When this happens, you do the best for opponents.”We have to respect them with the rules. I never speak with the groundsman.”I have many issues to think about that. I trust the groundsman – I never made a phone call to say do this to damage our opponents. When you do that karma tends to get you.”